Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Power of Commitment

Well it is about time I made an update!

Whoa, where can I start….I can start by thanking the Lord for this amazing experience I have had this summer on my internship. Although it is not over yet I still have some more weeks to complete….Christmas will be here faster then we know it. The greatest thing I have learned this summer is how to rely on the Lord, and I mean seriously rely on Him and realize how He does provide everything when you do. Just when you think He has closed so many doors at once, He opens so many more amazingly better doors. I have been blessed beyond my dreams this summer! The Lord has brought my family out to church regularly since June (can I get an ‘AMEN), my mom and step-dad play on the church ball-hockey team (that I never would have expected). I was given the opportunity to run a divorce care for kids program which has amazingly grown my heart to have a deeper love/passion for hurting family and children. Oh and there have been so many more things that I have been blessed by, it is just amazing how things just comes together. When the Lord orchestrates things nothing but good can flow out from them.

One major more serious lesson the Lord has been teaching me lately is the Power of Commitment. I do not mean commitment in the sense of human relationship but commitment to Him. I have been reading a book by Jerry White, he explains the importance between our heart, will, and mind. I never really understood why some can go through Bible College and not really know God. This fact always stumped me. Jerry White hit home here with this analogy, which really made sense to me. It is something I see in our church and something I know that I have done before too. It is so easy to not engage with God in all three aspects and sometimes we choose not too, because of our human tendencies... This is what Jerry has to say about it all

The Mind is the seat of intellect and knowledge, resulting in theology.

The Heart is the seat of belief and affliction, resulting in a desire for God

The Will is the seat of decision and obedience, resulting in a holy life.

What happens when some are missing?

Mind only leads to an intellectual theology devoid of real life.

Heart only leads to instable emotionalism without true biblical basis and without the life and obedience to accompany it.

Will only leads to legalism without the knowledge of the Word and without depth in the life.

Mind and heart only lead only to commitment that never gets applied to real issues of life.

Mind and will only lack the joy of relationship and loving service to God.

Heart and will only lead to aberration of commitment without a biblical basis.

Take a couple times to read it over! To me it just makes sense, and I know now that without all three (mind, heart, and will) you are putting up barriers in some area that will cut you off from the wonderful glory of God. It is like a child glued to the television, their mom calls them for dinner they hear, but do not respond or come. We have our bodies faced toward the Lord saying here use me... yet we still turn our heads ever so slightly not fully devoting all three parts of us to HIM. I challenge you to ask the Lord which area you need work on...Trust me it is so worth giving everything up for the Lord. He is amazing and has an abundance of Love for you.

The Lord has really stretched me this summer and He has drawn me closer then ever before. Never before in my Christian walk have I been this Joyful in the Lord! He is so amazing! I want everyone to Experience Him closely and personally. I miss you all my friends from afar. I will see most of you in January at school. To the others, we definitely need to plan a time to get together!

Oh I get to head to Presque Isle in 10 days to see Lor, Amy, and Robert! I am so excited to see them, they are super encouragers and their journeys with the Lord inspire me to get to know Him more. I love you guys! Alright have a great day in the Lord!

5 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger swITCHFUTgUY said...

pretty deep

sounds like an interesting book...i'll have to check that out
have a good day

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on, Kate!

(I don't really know what that means, but it sounded cool...lol)

Anyway, wow, that sounds like an awesome book. Everything that guy said is everything I've learned in the past month. so I definitely affirm that. And I also can't wait for ya to get here!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Jo said...

hi kate :) it's neat to see what God is showing you. glad your blogging. intern-away!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Heather Durkee said...

that sounds awesome kate! Glad to hear about your parents and about how the Lord is using and changing you!

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I CAN'T FLIPPIN WAIT FOR YOU TO COME VISIT IN 5 SLEEPS! don't worry, the airport should be quite normal on a thursday. plus the weather threw off all the flights, so we'll just pray for sunshine and smooth sailing....umm, flying that is...for you on thursday. CAN'T WAIT KATE! so excited. i'll try to give ya a call this weekend to work out plans

love ya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home